Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: New member question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member johnmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2018
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New member question

    I tried to send a personal message but told I need 10 posts to do so and I have only one.

    SOOOOOO. I'll ask here

    Dear Mr. White,
    As a new member and having zero experience with Hostboard.com, i am curious
    why the Altec users forum is sooooo slow.

    The site has an incredible amount of information. I ask only because viewing
    the website seems to be "more wait than read"..

    Respectfully,
    Johnmil

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New member question


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    It's been an ongoing issue.

    Seems to be the worst with Firefox, Chrome seems a little faster.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    I agree that the problem is significant. I often just give up, despite the fact I do have Altec speakers that I built with the help of this community. It really is unsupportable if the community hopes to 'prosper'.

    It is like having a long, horribly potted road leading up to your 5 star hotel. Even when you finally arrive, the room service is appallingly slow.....generally requires 2 or 3 calls to get your order. Not a formula for success.

    regards -- Roger

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    New member question


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    I agree with OG.. It seems some browsers work better than others.. I use Opera 52 and don't have any of the slow issues some folks are having.YMMV

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    Every action is half-paralyzed using Chrome.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    My ongoing experience too. Don't know if Comcast has anything to do with it, but it's the 'timing out' that finally drove me away from continuing to be a regular poster.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New member question


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    I'm using Waterfox now. Essentially Firefox with the commercial stuff stripped out. Seems acceptable so far. I've decided I hate Chrome.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    So, it seems like we write off the Altec Forum because a functional site cannot be found??

    regards -- Roger

    PS - First try at posting a reply, and I get a big green space with 'your add here'. The second time I get the posting page, with no posting space (just the title area available). Third try, and I actually get to post!!!! How many people are going to put up with that?? Answer - not many. There is so much to offer here, and it is going to the dogs due to crappy technology.

  9. #9
    Junior Hostboard Member thewebgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2017
    Location
    Northern, VA
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    The site is a huge repository of helpful information, buried in a larger site that apparently is the owners main interest.
    I gather the ALTEC site was hosted here as a courtesy long ago. Sadly, it runs on old and creaky software that should be taken out and SHOT.
    Also, since the ALTEC site is a custom site buried within someone else's take on a bulletin board,
    it can't be easily migrated out to better, more appropriate software with a better interface.
    I gather its a database driven (Most forum sites are) so it SHOULD be capable of being migrated out -
    but I also gather the folks running it are not in charge of the larger site and are just stuck here.

    Such a shame - ALTEC archives deserve better ...




    Quote Originally Posted by johnmil View Post
    I tried to send a personal message but told I need 10 posts to do so and I have only one.

    SOOOOOO. I'll ask here

    Dear Mr. White,
    As a new member and having zero experience with Hostboard.com, i am curious
    why the Altec users forum is sooooo slow.

    The site has an incredible amount of information. I ask only because viewing
    the website seems to be "more wait than read"..

    Respectfully,
    Johnmil

  10. #10
    Junior Hostboard Member Fat Point Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New member question

    Quote Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
    The site is a huge repository of helpful information, buried in a larger site that apparently is the owners main interest.
    I gather the ALTEC site was hosted here as a courtesy long ago. Sadly, it runs on old and creaky software that should be taken out and SHOT.
    Also, since the ALTEC site is a custom site buried within someone else's take on a bulletin board,
    it can't be easily migrated out to better, more appropriate software with a better interface.
    I gather its a database driven (Most forum sites are) so it SHOULD be capable of being migrated out -
    but I also gather the folks running it are not in charge of the larger site and are just stuck here.

    Such a shame - ALTEC archives deserve better ...
    I am just a lurker here, unless I get to express the enjoyment I have gotten from my Model 15's over the last 30 some years.

    I want to thank the Administrator and Moderators for their devotion to all things Altec!

    I have noticed that at the top of the page is a request for donations to maintain the site. It requests $150.00 a month, yet I see that there are very few, if any donations. I include myself as a slackard.

    Much like voting, if you don't do it, you have little right to complain.

    I do not have a money transfer account. Where can I send a check?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.